Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
YaBB - Yet another Bulletin Board
  Latest info can be found on the YaBB Chat and Support Community.
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Allan Hinchliffe. Born 1821 in Yorkshire (Read 6506 times)
Mar 10th, 2009 at 12:39pm

jdh   Offline
YaBB Newbies
I Love YaBB 2!

Can anyone give me any information on Allan Hinchliffe born 1821 Cumberlworth, Yorkshire. Any information would be gratefully received.

IP Logged

Reply #1 - Jan 21st, 2010 at 3:03am

isabel hinchliffe   Offline
YaBB Newbies
I Love YaBB 2!

Dear JDH,

My name is Isabel Hinchliffe Brick of N.J. U.S.   My Great Grandfather was John Hinchliffe of Yorkshire. He came to the U.S. in 1832 approx., and later started the Hinchliffe Brewery in Paterson N.J.  Would it be possible that Allan Hinchliffe and John Hinchliffe were from the same family?

I am looking forward to any information you might be able to provide.

With best regards,
Isabel Hinchliffe Brick

IP Logged

Reply #2 - Jan 21st, 2010 at 8:45pm

jdh   Offline
YaBB Newbies
I Love YaBB 2!

Hi Isabel,

Thank you for your email. I know very little about my great great grandfather, I know he was the Father born out of wedlock of my great Grandfather Allan, born in 1850. I am led to believe that Allan (GG G-F) died around 1860's in Huddlesfield.

The dates I have put on this website I picked off Census records of 1851, it shows he was married to Eliza aged 22, and had daughter Ann aged 1. He was born abt 1822 in New Mill, Yorkshire, England.
It was apparent that my (G G-F) was born to a scottish lady called Margaret Ballantyne in the Scotland in 1851, so there are various stories as to where my G G-F was conceived.

There is no mention of a John. But our Family have all had John's & Allans in all the decendants.

I would be interested to know more about your John.

Many Thanks

John
(JDH)

IP Logged

Reply #3 - Jan 23rd, 2010 at 2:16am

YaBB Newbies
I Love YaBB 2!

Hi John,   Pleasure to meet you. Thanks for your prompt reply.
I know very little about my great grandfather, though I do know he was born in Yorkshire. He arrived approx. 1832 and lived in N.Y.C. upon arrival. He then moved to Paterson N.J. in 1851, a year after his first child (John) was born. He was a brewer. He soon founded The Hinchliffe Brewery. Upon his death, all was left to his three sons:  John, James & William.   William was my grandfather.
John, the oldest, was born in NYC in 1850. He was educated partly in Paterson, NJ, then was sent back to Yorkshire, England to continue his education.  He graduated from a college in Ireland.  He returned to Paterson, NJ and became affiliated with the Democratic Party.  He was nominated for state senator in 1891, and became mayor of Paterson in 1897.  He was president of the Hinchliffe Brewing Co.; had financial interests in several N.Y. railways and was part owner of the Empire State Granite Co. (with his brothers).
William F., the second son, was born in Paterson, NJ in 1854.  After completing his education at the Quimby Institute (we don't know what the Quimby Institute is), he studied brewing under Thomas B. Penrose.  After practical experience at the Betz Brewery in Philly, he returned home in 1879 and took charge of the brewing department at the Hinchliffe Brewery.  William was highly regarded as a brewer.He had two wives and nine children with each.  His first wife passed from influenza.  My father, Leo, was from the first family.
James C., the youngest son, was born in Paterson in 1858.  He attended the public schools of Paterson and completed his education at Seton Hall, NJ.  In 1878, he assumed charge of the financial department at the Hinchliffe Brewing Co.  He was original organizers of the electric railway (Middletown-Goshen Traction Co.), and was its first president.  The brothers had financial interests in the Staten Island Electric Railway Co. and owned Midland Beach (Staten Island).
Out of space!  IH

IP Logged

Reply #4 - Jan 23rd, 2010 at 6:27pm

jdh   Offline
YaBB Newbies
I Love YaBB 2!

Hi Isabel. Thank you for your email. It was very interresting to read about your family. I regret that I am in the same position as you, I know my Great Great Grandfather was from Yorkshire, maybe from the Town of Huddlerfield in Yorkshire, but that is all, so we both have the same dilema, needing more information about our forefathers. There was nothing in your email that made any connections with my Family Tree.
It has been very interesting exchanging information. I wish you good searching for the future.
Kind Regards
John
(JDH)

IP Logged

Reply #5 - Jan 23rd, 2010 at 6:49pm

YaBB Newbies
I Love YaBB 2!

Hi John,

All the best with your search. Please keep in touch. All the best.

Regards,

IHB

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print